Remembering Sister Dorothy Beck

Antonia Romano
May 7, 2018
13 comments
  • Sister Annelle Velivis, CSSF / May 8, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Each time I came to St. Raphaela’s for retreat, I looked forward to chatting with Sister Dorothy. She was always concerned about my comfort and was there anything she could do for me. It is with sadness as I have just read about her passing. Yet, I know we have a friend with the Lord. I express my deepest sympathy to the Handmaids of the Sacred Heart.

• Edward A. "Ted" Burgoyne / May 8, 2018 at 6:47 pm

So sorry to hear of Sister Dorothy’s passing. But there is no doubt that She is in a better place. I had the good fortune of being in Sister Dorothy’s eighth grade class in 1966 and will always be grateful for the positive influence that Sister had on me during a troubled time in my life.

I am so glad I had an opportunity to visit with her in Wyncote during 2017.

My condolences to the Beck Family.

• You will be missed. Always know you are Loved always and in all ways. I been blessed to have you be a part of my life in my most formative years. After 67 yrs of my life and when our paths crossed I would hear “ there’s my Donald “
    Rest In Peace my teacher my friend.

• Deacon David / May 8, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Sister Dorothy was a friend and spiritual companion to me after the loss of my wife and son. our friendship deepened as we shared together each of our life joys and challenges in our journey with the Sacred Heart of Jesus our great companion. I am saddened to see my friend gone but I am rejoicing that she is home with Our Lord. Be at peace, my friend and sister in the Lord.

• Helen Drozdowski / May 8, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Reading about Sister Dorothy’s life, leaves no doubt in my mind, that her work is all completed and completed well, with love and faith. The first person that I met at St. Raphaela was Sr. Dorothy. She instilled in me, a love for the charisma of the Handmaids and all their good works. I felt privileged to know Sr. Dorothy whose presence will be deeply missed..

Condolences to the Beck Family and to the Handmaid family.

• Mary & Ed Wuillermin / May 8, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Rest in peace,Mother Dorothy! You have earned your place in heaven with Jesus.
    We first met you in 1968when we enrolled our daughter Madeline in kindergarten at the old ADA in Germantown. She looked up at you and said, “Wow are you tall!”
    Through the years we have run into you often as volunteers and parents of a student and now a teacher. And we so loved to sit and chat with you. Rest in Mother, and we love you,

• Shareen Helbig / May 8, 2018 at 10:19 pm

Our family have been fortunate to be in the company
    of Sr Dorothy. She always had her arms stretched
    for a hug. A most holy woman and will be certainly
    missed. God Bless our friend Sr. Dorothy.
    Len,Shareen, and family

• Shareen and Len, so nice to read this from you
      always remember you and your parents with love

Hope you are all well. Love and prayers to Tommy and John too!

• Over the years, I had the opportunity to have many fruitful & spiritual conversations with Sr. Dorothy at the Wyncote location. Her ever present smile will be greatly missed. She was the absolute embodiment of our beloved Handmaids!
    Until we all meet again, rest in peace Sister!

John Weinrich family

• Mary and Ed Wuillermin / May 9, 2018 at 12:32 am

Rest in peace, Mother Dorothy! You have earned youir place in Heaven with Jesus
    We first met you in 1968 when we enrolled our daughter Madeline in kindergarden at the old ADA in Germantown.She looked up at you and said: Boy are you tall”
    Through the years we have run into you often as volunteers and parents of a student and now a teacher. And we love dso much to sit and chat with you.
    Rest in peace, Dorothy, and we love you

• Cecile Matthews / May 9, 2018 at 1:36 am

Sister Dorothy always made the retreat so special with her kindness and willing spirit to listen and guide. I will miss her but I know she will remain in al of our hearts.

• John Di Benedetto / May 10, 2018 at 12:45 pm

Sincere condolences to her family, friends and the entire Handmaids community.
    I knew that Sr. Dorothy’s dedication and commitment to her vocation was absolute. She was kind, caring and respectful of everyone in her path. She served as an inspiration to us all.
    May she rest in Peace.
    Sincerely, John Di Benedetto

• Charles & Joanne Puglia / May 10, 2018 at 7:31 pm

Throughout the years and on many occasions, my family and I have had the opportunity to speak with Sr. Dorothy. She was a wise, gracious and calm presence.. Her kindness and compassion toward students, parents, faculty and staff were always evident. Her commitment and years of service to the local and global community of Sisters is indeed quite a legacy. Rest in peace, Sr. Dorothy and we extend our sympathy to the Beck family and the entire Handmaid Community.
    Sincerely, Charles and Joanne Puglia